Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Byodo-In Temple, 2/21/11

According to the handout it "was established on June 7, 1968 to commemorate the first Japanese immigrants to Hawaii...and built to represent the mythical phoenix, its wings upheld by pillars of stone." Here is a link for more info

Andy was correct, we were challenged while taking pictures because of the white cloudy sky. I still have not gotten a polarizer, so consequently I spent a lot of time trying to fix these pics.

Maybe this infrared is a better pic.
Notice this gargoyle?


This is Andy.
This bell house "kanetsu-ki-do" has a five foot, three ton brass bell. Visitors can pull back the soft wooden log "shu-moku" to strike the bell (to spread the eternal teachings of Buddha).
Before going to Lanikai Beach in Kailua, we enjoyed a delicious Mexican lunch. Of course, I couldn't resist taking pics of these bottles.
For dinner, Richard, Andy and myself enjoyed a Japanese dinner at Gyotaku in Honolulu. A day well spent on President's Day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HiC,

I really like the gargoyle shot and I think you are right the infrarer red helps with the white sky (she could have used my lens with a ploariser but she just couldn't bring herself to use an f4 lens...lol).

It is always great fun shooting with you and I enjoy your blog and great photos - keep it up...

R

jalna said...

Beautiful photos Celia. I never knew about using a polarizer for white skies!

celia said...

Thanks R and Jalna, Yes, the polarizer cuts the brightness of the white skies. I am now checking out which one to get.

C.Edward "Eddie" Freeman said...

I enjoyed looking at your temple shots, never been there to see it myself. Great shooting......

SW said...

Nice shots. I think cloudy skies makes for a more dramatic shot and the mountains behind it looked especially green. However, the water looked pretty yucky.. nice touch changing it to infrared. I never noticed the gargoyles..great shooting!

celia said...

Eddie, I am glad you enjoyed looking at these pics. I find this place has lots to shoot. I hope you can visit it one day, $3.00 entry fee.

Shun Wah, great - the cloudy skies worked in my favor? Yay! Maybe I don't need to get a polarizer.