Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Ukulele Festival 7/20/14, Self Portrait 7/1/14

It was a pleasure to attend this festival, such talent! Roy and Kathy Sakuma's "mission is to spread the joy of the ukulele teaching students and promoting the Ukulele Festival, the largest ukulele festival of its kind in the world." Here is their link: http://www.roysakuma.net
Although I missed a lot of the performances, I was fortunate to enjoy these.

Adrien Janiak, from France

Aidan James who at the age of 8 made his debut with "Hey Soul Sister", 4 years later Roy shared how well he has done. I just checked his YouTube: 18,980,436 views.
Raiatea Helm and Bryan Tolentino. I captured Raiatea holding a note which Roy informed us that he counted how long it was. Amazingly it was for 72 beats/18 bars.
 Nick Acosta is a strumming with his elbow. Sure puts a lot of us to shame.
He was presented a check to help with his college funds. He certainly was surprised to receive it.
 The kids - there were 2 age groups. On stage were players which I was unable to capture.
 The adults.

Not only were we entertained by their performances, there were tents: of ukulele stores, autographs and sale of their CDs, and food. What a festival!!


I continue to take photography classes. David Ulrich with Pacific New Media - "Vision and Discovery, Realty and Metaphor" gave us an assignment: Self Portrait but you are not in the picture. My interpretations of myself.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thx for sharing. self portrait- that is you plus others to follow.

jalna said...

Great coverage! Thanks for mentioning Pacific News Media . . . been wanting to take some kind of videography class somewhere. I'll go see if they offer anything interesting.

celia said...

Anonymous- LOL, I am glad my self portrait reflects me.

Hi Jalna, thank you! I wish I had seen more - very good festival. I just went to a free talk last night. There is a trend for videography - timing maybe perfect. I have been enjoying your Metamorphis I and II. Thank you so much - what patients!

Erick said...

Nice shots of the event. They had some high powered musicians!

SW said...

We were sitting on the opposite side of the stage! Great shots of the performers. I missed the earlier performances.

celia said...

Erick, I look forward to next year's festival, they certainly have top musicians. I just checked Shun Wah's blog - I totally missed Jake Shimabukuro.

Shun Wah, too funny, from your blog we were on opposite sides. I left by 3 and wished I had heard Jake - luv your last picture with him and Roy.