Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sight Seeing: Jemez Pueblo, Jemez Springs and More, 5/ 8&9 /14

After I enjoyed taking pictures of Erma's place, we went sight seeing.  Just like Erma wanted to see Oahu from a resident's perspective, I too wanted to see New Mexico the same way. I was fortunate that Erma lives in an older part of New Mexico.

Along the way to Gilman Tunnels...

The above tunnel(s) and its surroundings.
I really enjoyed capturing water with a slow shutter speed creating wispy waters.
modified 6/10/14

modified 6/10/14 

modified 6/10/14
 Dinner at a Saloon- cool, huh?

Friday, May 9…

At Walatowa Visitor Center-

My souvenirs - the larger one is about story tellers with a turtle in the center. Rather than create a written language the Navajo Indians of Jemez continued their legacy through story telling. Notice the men and women - the two women have turquoise earrings. The turtle is revered for its long life.
I did not meet the artist of the story teller - I got it from a consignment store. Joseph had many lovely pieces to choose from - I chose his little bowl - easier to take home. Notice his etched pieces - they are not painted - what talent!!! The pieces with the handles are for weddings - the vase has two spouts which symbolizes individuality and unity.
We stopped outside this area.
The water emerging was very warm and the minerals emerging colored the area.
You may want to look up Jemez State Monument - to understand its significance.



A view of a mountain through this opening - very interesting surface.
This was an oven, that was used back in the day for their bread as is still used today. The size of the oven is based on the number of loaves to be baked at once, such as 25, 50, 75. While visiting her friend, I got to have some oven baked bread. Yum!
Soda Dam-
the sign: This spectacular formation has built up over the centuries by deposits of calcium carbonate from a spring that bubbles to the surface at this point.  The river flows under a dome that is still building. The dam is 300 feet long, 50 feet high, and 50 feet wide at the bottom.



Battleship Rock-
I was awed by the variety of mountains. As in the one through the opening at Jemez State Monument.  I can assure you the landscape here is vastly different from the Hawaiian Islands.
Erma pointed out- art that someone created by using nails.
Elk viewing area-
My luck, guess what just crossed our path.

Please scroll down my trip also included Albuquerque, Santa Fe, 5/5 -11/14


2 comments:

Erick said...

Wow, super cool place. I like the tunnel, solid rock. And a dam of soda. I'll take orange, strawberry, grape and Pepsi please. Great shots!

celia said...

Erick, I was in awe!!! You are too funny - no soda. It was certainly a photographic vacation.