Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hot Air Balloon - 5/8/14, IAIA Pow Wow - 5/10/14

Wednesday, 5/7/14, Erma and I got up at 4 am, left Santa Fe at 4:30 and headed to Albuquerque an hour drive away. As you can see these balloons are huge.
Notice the balloon on the right, it has the New Mexico flag design.  The red symbol is called a "Zia" and it is centered on a field of yellow. Zia Pueblo, an Indian reservation known for their pottery and use of the Sun symbol. The number 4 is important: 4 points of the compass- north, south, east, west; 4 seasons; 4 periods of each day- morning, noon, evening, night; 4 seasons of life- childhood, youth, middle years, old age; 4 sacred obligations one must develop- a strong body, a clear mind, a pure spirit and a devotion to the welfare of others.

Looking at the sky/wind, the ride was cancelled. They are certified and follow the codes of the FFA to fly their balloons. Although we were disappointed, we were glad they made that decision. We could get our money back or try again.
The next day, Thursday - 5/8/14 we went back. Same early morning wake up. Left Santa Fe - time and weather: 4:37 am, 39 degrees.
There are different size baskets. LOL, 10 of us were in this one.
Weather permitting, our 2 and 5 other balloons were enjoying the flight.

Hot Air Over Albuquerque...

Yes, that was our shadow. We landed in a parking lot. I think our other balloon landed in a gated community so their balloon chaser had a harder time getting to their people. I checked the weather and time once we were on the ground: Albuquerque, 8:11 am, 43 degrees.
Time for celebration: champagne and a certificate. The souvenir champagne glass they gave us will always remind me of this wonderful experience/the ride!!!

The park they took us to celebrate was a delight.  We enjoyed the art carved by Mark Chevez.




IAIA Pow Wow, Saturday 5/10/14…
Institute of American Indian Arts, Santa Fe, New Mexico

What a treat!!! There were 5 tents of drummers, they took turns through out this festivity.
I was in awe of their clothes with their adornments. The following are photos as they danced into the circle, drums were playing. There were contests, food and items to purchase. I did get a pair of feather earrings - I luv it.






These photos do not do justice, however, I do not want to post a video, I did not get permission. I actually had a hard time using my camera because of the focus and my lens was not wide enough.

Although we enjoyed the Pow Wow, going to this spa was a delight. We were both sunburned and relaxing here was a treat - sorry no photos.

Erma, thank you for an awesome visit, I am still on cloud 9.

One more memory, fry bread topped with honey, cinnamon and powder sugar.                                                                                                   

4 comments:

SW said...

What an adventurous ride on the hot air balloon.. so was the parking lot landing a planned one and they were there waiting to pick you up? The colorful costumes at the pow wow is awesome..The fry bread looks yummy...like a giant malasadas!! :-) They should have them here in Hawaii too!

celia said...

Where we land is not planned, they let us drift in the air for about an hour - when we got over the parking lot - he said this should be a good place to land. The balloon chasers have to keep track where the balloons go even though there is a 2 way communication system so they can help asap.

I agree their costumes were amazing. I did not get as many photos as I would have liked. Permission is needed if I took pictures of the participants walking around.

The fry bread was light, yummy and sticky cuz of the honey.

Erick said...

I always wanted to ride in a hot air balloon, super Jellos. Love the Indian festival shots. Great photos!

celia said...

Erick, I hope you get to - I really enjoyed it.
I am so glad they had their Pow Wow when I was there. My entire trip was awesome.