Monday, March 4, 2013

Portrait Lighting, 3/2/13 and Some More Pow Wow, 2/23/13

Photography is so much fun and there is so much to learn. This past Saturday, 3/2/13, I learned how to use my Speedlite 580 EXII. I have always been intimidated with using a flash. Luckily, I got many chances at this workshop put on Pacific New Media with Jerry Omo. Photography is all about light - so where it comes and how much affects a portrait/photo


This diffuser helped to cut down the amount of light on our model. I appreciated the wind on her hair.
She is so pretty!!!


We also learned to make a blue sky. Myself and other's laid low to capture the sky. I thought it was fun to also capture this photographer getting the opposite view.
Our model was Jerry's daughter. Let me tell you, she was a great sport. She wore 4 outfits and allowed the 10 of us to get the practice we needed.

For this shot, our model was too far for our flash to work, instead of using our flash unit - we attached a remote trigger that fired a flash set up closer to her.

My previous blog was about Pow Wow Hawaii, 2/17/13. I had to come another day to get this photo. On Feb. 17, the sun was shining directly on this wall creating telephone pole/wire shadows.

I actually do not know who this person is - and I was surprised to see it as these wonderful works of art were all over the place.


I believe Prime and Estria made wall/street art popular here in Honolulu. Congratulations! It was so nice to see the talents of their art visible for us.

8 comments:

jalna said...

Great workshop photos Celia! And I really need to get my butt out to Kakaako. Love your shots.

Erick said...

Cool, you the flash expert now. Great Pow Wow shots too. I wanna shot those too, I am still waiting for Jalna to get her okole going.

celia said...

Jalna, thank you so much. It was a great workshop! Looks like Erick will join you at Kakaako - better make plans.

Erick, I am far from being an expert but now I feel more comfortable about using my flash. That is huge! You and Jalna will enjoy seeing Pow Wow.

SW said...

NICE.. look like it was a great class .. now you are lighting expert. Those murals are awesome.. glad you went around and got all those pics.

Anonymous said...

Nice work with the flash, very professional looking. Great captures of the Pow Wow...I like how the artists work the building features into their compositions.

celia said...

SW, I am so glad I took that class. Hee hee lighting in progress. I go to the gym in that area and I continue to enjoy seeing them.

Warren, you are so encouraging. Thanks. I agree with you about the artists. My favorite is the one from my previous blog with the sad clocks - working around with the existing windows/grills.

Jon said...

Great shots mom. The artist who did the two female portraits goes by the name RONE, from Australia. He's one of my favorites!

celia said...

Jon, thank you so much. Wow, I did not even know that RONE did both portraits. I was amazed at their size. I can see why he is one of your favorites. I noticed the second one is now complete. I want to do one more post - to include the completed picture and Katch's mural which I refer to as sad clocks in my previous post. My friend Jalna did a post entitled Katch. Although I can refer to her's, I want to go back to do one for myself.