Sunday, April 15, 2018

Zoo, 4/15/18

Thankfully we did not have rain - the last 2 days the rains were heavy. Therefore we: Derek, Dewey, Bob, Milton S., and Walter had a fun today. Lots of joking, also got some good tips of how to use the lens stabilizer - so helpful!!!




Now the birds with thick wire cages...







I feel really bad for Violet and Rusti - they have been separated - last time I came was in October 2017 and already they were separated. You can see Rusti on the other side.

 Eventually Rusti moved away from the shared fence. He is lucky - he gets the bigger area.


Thank you Derek for blocking the glare from the glass.





The aviary...




This cute porcupine sums it all-
so many animals were too tired to come out or were laying around.

Our mode of operation is to enjoy lunch afterwards at Kim Chee II in Kaimuki.

4 comments:

jalna said...

Fun outing! How come Rusty and Violet are separated? Not getting along?

celia said...

Hi Jalna,
I just looked at the Honolulu Zoo website and emailed them the following:
It breaks my heart to see Orangutans Rusti and Violet separated. The last time I came was in October 2017 and already they were separated. When I came this past Sunday, April 15, 2018 - they are still separated. Each time I see them they are looking sadly at each other through a wire wall. What makes it worse is she is in a small enclosure with a concrete floor, no greenery or trees. Where as Rusti who also looks unhappy does have the large area with the grass and hammock. Please explain to me how this can be healthy for them. What is the prognosis - what are your plans? Will they ever be allowed to be together?
Sincerely,
Celia

SW said...

Wow great shots thru the wire fence to get those birds. I haven't been to the zoo in a while too and I've never seen the porcupine. Very nice shots of the greenery too. So sad to see violet and rusty. Hope the zoo has a good reason for the separation.

celia said...

Thanks Shun Wah, it was definitely a challenge - a slight move and I got the fence.

I do hope to hear from the zoo.