Sunday, October 6, 2013

Black and Whites, 10/3/13

Every Thursday - starting from Sept. 5 til Dec. 19 excluding Oct. 10 and Nov. 28, I am in a photography class from 6-8pm. Linda and I are taking a class from Scott Kubo at Linekona where the Honolulu Museum of Art (Art Academy) holds their classes.

We are learning to take black and whites as we learn more about lighting and the fact that color can be a distraction. We are also focusing on line, form and texture.


The following 2 were pictures I had taken in color but converted them into black and white using Adobe Lightroom.

This past Thursday, Oct. 3, Scott set up some still life with lighting to create shadows. Admittedly this first picture I underexposed but I like how the metal of the water kettle reflected the light.
 I also had to get close to the objects.
I learned that if you set your lens to a large aperture (the opening) it can blur the background even if the items are close to each other. Aperture 2.8, 1.4, 1. Photography numbers are confusing - the larger the number the smaller the aperture and vice versa.


Our next assignment is Perspective. 

8 comments:

SW said...

Where's the LIKE button? Really like how you used light to accent your focus in your pic. NICE! Looks like a very good class.

celia said...

Shun Wah, thanks. I am glad Linda suggested this class. It is the first photo class the Art Academy has had. He gives good suggestions and Linda has helped me to see things better.

jalna said...

Wish I wasn't so lazy and would go and take classes too. I like these!!

celia said...

Jalna, thanks. You are certainly not lazy. I am the one with time. Scott is very kind - he gives suggestions with encouragement. Linda has been helpful - she has a very good eye. So I give credit to them. The first 3 were taken outside of Whole Foods @7pm.

Erick said...

Cool B/W, very nice!

celia said...

Erick, thanks. I actually did not make these photos with Linda but kept in mind what she said about my photos. I am glad you like these B/W.

D J Atom said...

Hi Celia,
It's been awhile since I visited your site. You have made tremedous progress in your photography skills.

Love your work.

DJ Atom

celia said...

DJ, thanks. I do enjoy taking this class and Linda has been a great help. She has a natural gift for seeing things. I feel intimitaded taking pictures with her - so these were done on my own.